Thursday, October 20, 2011

And, all the leaves must fall...

Today I did something I've been thinking about doing for years and years. And the years pass by and I have to wait for another year to do it. I've wondered what it would be like to press leaves from one sole tree and put them in one spot as an installation so to speak. A friend had told me about an installation she attended where the artist had collected and pressed leaves so that they completely filled a file cabinet pull out drawer. Each drawer had a different species of leaf! Can you only imagine!!!! It's haunted me for years now. I want my own cabinet of leaves. But if I get enough of one kind to maybe store in a box, that will be my version of the installation idea.
Here's the chosen (maple leaf with smallish and fancy shaped leaves) tree:



Here's one bag of leaves. Hundreds it looks like. Who knows. I didn't take the time to count because by the time I got home the leaves were beginning to dry out and curl and not want to easily lay flat in a book. I disgarded a bunch because of this.



Here's a teaser. I did a few in the microwave press. It gives you an idea of the colors. Quite a lot of yellows and rich reds. No greens whatsoever. I do love the combination of rich dark green with deep strong yellow. This tree does not provide those. Nothing is perfect hey?



My goal is to use the leaves as a resource for color choice(s) in my artwork.

Nice to see you again,
Thanks for dropping in! Talk soon,*smiles* Norma

6 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea Norma, I will look for the influence in your future work! xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great that you collected the leaves. They do look so inspiring all together like that. Can't wait to see what you make. Thanks for popping over, Keep smiling and creating

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fabulous Norma... love the gorgeous colors of the leaves... love the idea too... and your birds are the sweetest...

    Have a wonderful day
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I love the idea of starting a leaf collection, i don't know how i can do it but it sounds great,and I agree with Jenny, your birds are the sweetest :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to you all for your nice comments. I am dreaming of what I can do with the color combination already! And thanks for liking my birds! *smiles* Norma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely leaves! I too have a collection of plant bits (leaves, flowers, grasses etc.) that are constant inspiration. and the birds - so gorgeous!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for dropping by and we'll see you soon, I hope, *smiles* Norma

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...